martes, 30 de junio de 2009

Mangoes

With love for all the chupamangos* out there


I think mango is my favorite fruit. If I have the option I will almost always choose mango (even when it comes to shampoo or body wash). And before coming here everybody told me about the pure deliciousness of Indian mangoes: "nothing to do with American mangoes", and Mexican mangoes? "No, no comparison!, Mexican mangoes have so many strings that stick to your teeth, they're no good."

So I have set myself on a quest to evaluate the truth behind these statements, risking not being able to fit into my clothes ever again. I have so far tasted a fair sample of the many varieties available. I have also tasted them in many presentations: cut, lassi, milkshakes, juice, chutney, upside down cake, popsicles, ice cream, etc etc. And yes, Indian mangoes are excellent (especially Alphonsos!), no doubt about it. And yes, they do not have the "hairs" or strings Mexican ones have.

But I must say I like Mexican mangoes better. They're juicier or sweeter. I don't know. Maybe it's cheap nationalism. Maybe it's the happy memories associated with eating mangoes. Maybe they're just better. There. I've said it. I'll probably break my other foot now.


*Chupamangos: http://caleidoscopeando.blogspot.com/2009/06/chupamangos.html



3 comentarios:

  1. Ok, now BEWARE... or paint a dot on your forehead! or buy a lizard to throw on the right side of your body, or buy a white cat... or maybe just all of the above

    ResponderEliminar
  2. blasphemy, helena, blasphemy!

    as an impartial "American," I can say unequivocally that Indian mangoes are superior in taste, texture, variety and any other identifiable or unidentifiable characteristic to mexican mangoes. :)

    hope you're enjoying India,
    -buddy

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Buddy,

    I believe we must do a randomized trial blind tasting to scientifically settle this dispute.

    ResponderEliminar